Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Lost in Translation

Having learned El Espanol primarily in Spain and from Spanish profesors- I have become aware of of a few, minor, relatively insignificant differences in the languages.

The first day here I decide to take on the town- but was not exactly sure of the Taxi situation- so I politely asked a muchacho on the streets how to do this by saying "I'd like to catch a taxi- Quiesiera COGER un taxi." A normal thing to say in SPAIN- well, as it turns out- not so much in Argentina. The guy stood in front of me- rather lacking words and turning pink in the face- and walked off, stunned at what I had said---I decided he was just rude.
Oh, but he was not rude--- he was just shocked that I had informed him I would like to F*&k a cab.
Now the real question is why would you take a perfectly normal verb like Coger- (to catch or to grab) and give it a perverse meaning...
Guess I will be looking for a new way to "catch a cab"

No comments: